How Long Do I Have to File a Wrongful Death Claim in NJ?

To file a wrongful death claim in NJ, you need to act within two years of the decedent’s death. So, once your loved one passes, you have two years from that date to pursue legal action if you suspect wrongdoing. The clock starts running as soon as your loved one dies.

That may seem like a long time, but it is actually relatively short. Losing a loved is emotionally taxing, and consider you will have a lengthy grieving period. You need to make funeral arrangements and handle your family. So, if you want to file a wrongful death lawsuit, act quickly and let a New Jersey lawyer handle all the details for you so you can focus on healing.

What kinds of wrongful death claims can I pursue?

If you are the immediate family member, spouse, or financial dependent of someone who died due to someone else’s recklessness, carelessness, or intentional wrongdoing, you might be able to pursue a wrongful death claim. Deaths which occurred as the result of the following circumstances may give rise to a wrongful death claim:

Motor vehicle accident, including those involving cars, motorcycles, trucks, and buses
Defective product accidents
Medical malpractice
Birth injury
• Unsafe conditions on someone else’s property
Dog attack
Boating injury
• Negligent security
Pedestrian accidents
Nursing home abuse

Why should I consult a lawyer right away?

Even though you have two years to file a claim does not mean you should wait two years to speak with an attorney. After your initial consultation, your lawyer starts to determine if you have a claim with pursuing. Then, he or she may launch an investigation to see if the claim is valid. A period of investigation may take some time, so seeking legal counsel immediately is your most effective strategy.

Our NJ personal injury law firms keep flexible office hours, with weekend appointments available, and we can meet you in your home or hospital room if you cannot travel to our office. Call us today, or contact us online, we’re standing by to assist you at (908) 561-5577.